This looks like your regular caramel custard pudding, but it’s actually sweetened with a gula melaka syrup for a local twist on a classic dessert. The subtle flavour of the palm sugar really brings out the smooth creaminess of this dessert. It’s easy to make, too!
” Smooth, sweet custard with a touch of gula melaka ”
- For the caramel:
- 1 cup gula melaka, chopped
- 2 -3 Tbsp water
- For the custard:
- 500ml milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup gula melaka, grated
- 1 -2 drops vanilla essence
- Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius
2. Make the syrup first: cook down the gula melaka and water in a pot until dissolved and slightly caramelized (use your nose as a guide! it should smell juuuust slightly burnt). When done, divide the caramel equally into two ramekins.
3. For the custard, whisk the egg yolks with the grated gula melaka until slightly fluffy. Add the vanilla essence and whisk to combine.
4. Heat the milk to slightly below boiling. Turn off the heat. Pour the hot milk little by little into the egg mixture and whisk constantly. Divide into the two ramekins.
5. Place the ramekins in a deep tray. Fill water up to halfway up the tray. Cover with foil then cook in the oven for 45 – 50 minutes.
6. Cool down before serving. Just upend the puddings onto a plate… or eat it straight out of the ramekin!
This recipe uses milk for a light, smooth pudding. You can use double cream for a thicker pudding, or go half-and-half for the best of both worlds.