One pot meals are great because there is less to wash up when you’ve finished cooking. This is a quicky Mutton Briyani meal that will nicely feed 6 people. It is great for dinner or next day lunch. You can make it spicy too because some of us like a little kick! Try to use good quality Briyani spice powder, it makes a world of difference.
” A one pot short cut Mutton Briyani ”
- ½ cup oil / ghee
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 1 inch ginger, sliced (30g)
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 400g mutton/lamb/beef/chicken
- 3 tbsp. briyani spice powder (25g packet)
- ½ cup evaporated milk/fresh milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 Pandan leaf (optional)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. chicken powder/chicken stock cube (optional)
- 2 cups rice
- 1 handful chopped mint
- 1 handful chopped coriander
- Red or yellow food colouring (optional)
1. Using a rice pot (the removable pot only) on the stove, heat up ghee and fry onions, garlic and ginger until very caramelised.
Make sure they are really caramelised. It gives so much flavour to the rice
2. Add in cubed mutton pieces and briyani spice powder. Cook until mutton is no longer pink.
I used Faiza briyani spice powder. I was quite pleased with the taste and aroma.
3. Pour in evaporated milk, water, pandan leaf, salt and chicken powder. Bring it to a gentle simmer.
Taste and make sure it is seasoned correctly
4. Add in rice and half of chopped mint and coriander. Simmer again and transfer into rice cooker and press ‘Cook’ button.
I used Basmathi rice. They are light and fluffy after cooking
5. Once cooked, off the switch add in food colouring if you wish and let the rice sit for at least 10 minutes.
Switch off the power when ‘Cook” button pops up. This prevents rice crust forming at the bottom
6. Give briyani a stir and garnish with more chopped mint and coriander before serving.
My rice pot is the normal type which can put directly over flames. If yours is the expensive type, I’d suggest you use a pot first, then only transfer everything into the rice cooker when you want to cook the rice. Use tender cuts of meat so it is easier to cook in such a short time.