Frambozen Kenari, no one really knows who came up with the name, it’s a mystery. Like, why Kenari? Unknown origins aside, Frambozen Kenari is actually a worthy dessert. It has a shortbread cookies base, which is smeared with jam, topped with a meringue layer and a sprinkle of nuts. With that combo, you know it will be a hit! Make it for Raya or spoil yourself and have it as a buka puasa dessert.
” A scrumptious Raya treat! ”
200 gm Unsalted Butter ( cubed, refrigerate before you use it, batter has to be cold.}
300 gm Flour
1 Tsp Salt
2 Egg Whites
200 gm Caster Sugar
1 Tsp Vinegar
1 Tbs Corn Flour
6 Tbs Strawberry Jam
200 gm Almond Flakes ( or nuts of your choice – pistachio, )
1. Preheat oven at 170 C.
2. Mix all the ingredients in A, except water using your fingers until crumbly, pour in water bit by bit until it turns into a sticky dough.
3. On a 10 inch square pan, line it with parchment paper, Press it down evenly until all the parchment paper is covered by the dough.
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Then, turn down the oven to 150 C.
5. Take it once it is completely baked. Keep an eye on it. It will brown quite fast. Leave it to cool for about 30 mins.
6. Once cooled, spread the jam evenly. Set it aside.
7. With a hand mixer, whisk egg whites until frothy, pour in sugar gradually. Whisk until hard peaks form.
8. Pour in vinegar and corn flour, mix again until everything is well incorporated.
9. Spread mixture on jam.
10. Sprinkle some almond flakes on top and bake for 40-60 minutes.
Cut and enjoy!
The perfect dessert to end any meal. Use a more tart tasting jam if you want to lessen the sweetness.