Kuih Jongkong is a steamed dessert made of pandan flavoured custard, white sugar and coconut milk, all packed in a cute little banana leaf parcel. Our Head of Content Honey absolutely love this kuih and she made it a few times in the office. Lucky us we got to eat it too!
” A little parcel goodness… ”
1 cup rice flour
½ tsp. air kapur (limewater)
1 tsp. tapioca flour
2 cups water
6 pandan leaves
½ tsp. salt
Green food colouring, optional
500ml coconut milk
1 cup sugar
15 pieces of banana leaves
1. Clean and run banana leaves over flames to soften it. Cut into 8’’ x 6’’ rectangles.
2. Make pandan extract by blending pandan leaves and water. Strain and discard fibres.
3. Mix rice flour, air kapur, tapioca flour, pandan extract, pinch of salt and a few drops of green food colouring into a pot and whisk to combine. Cook it over medium heat and keep stirring until it thickens.
4. When it starts to thicken, it will look a bit lumpy. Keep stirring it with a bit of hot water until it becomes smooth again. The custard is ready when it gets glossy and starts popping up.
5.Take a piece of banana leaf and scoop a big spoonful of custard onto it and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar on top.
6. Pick up leaf and fold one side to form a pouch. Tilt it one side and put in about 3 tablespoons of coconut milk into the pouch.
7. Seal pouch on both sides and secure with a toothpick.
8. Repeat process until you have used up all of the custard.
9. Steam for 10 minutes and let it cool down for a bit. Serve it warm or chilled.