Nothing fuels your tummy like a hefty breakfast. Try lempeng pisang, a banana pancake cooked in aromatic banana leaf. Break away from the Monday blues with this yummy treat.
” Breakfast- Malaysian Style. Start your day with a lempeng pisang. ”
- A few pieces of banana leaf, cut into 20 x 20 cm
- Oil, to lightly coat the banana leaf. This is to make sure the batter doesn’t stick on the banana leaf when you cook it.
- 300 g Pisang Emas, mashed
- ½ C Grated coconut
- ½ C Plain flour
- 80 g Palm sugar, melted
- pinch Salt
1. By using a wooden spoon, mix all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
2. Heat a flat pan over a medium flame. Put a piece of banana leaf on the pan then pour 1/3 of the batter and cover it with another piece of banana leaf.
3. Let it cook for about 3-4 min on one side and then flip it over
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all the batter have been used up.
Local style banana pancake or lempeng pisang is a little chewy on the outer layer but soft and moist inside. Palm sugar gives an extra caramel taste while banana leaf gives a mild smokey flavour. Coconut add a gorgeous richness to the pancakes.
It’s a great way to use up leftover bananas and because it’s sweet, kids would love it too! Cook until the banana leaf starts to brown. This gives the lempeng a slightly charred taste which balances the sweetness of the bananas.