A staple in Malay homes, the ‘Ikan Masak Sambal’ is a classic favourite because of its simple ingredients and easy preparation. The sambal is so good that you can just eat it on its own!
” So delicious eaten with rice… ”
- 4 Medium Ikan Selar Kuning ( Yellowtail Scad )
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- Enough oi for deep-frying
- 4 Shallots
- 2 Garlic
- 20-25 Dried Chillies, soaked in water
- An inch of Belacan, toasted
To be sautéed with the blended ingredients
- 2/3 Cup Tamarind Juice
- 1 Large Onion, cut into rings
- 4 Tbs Oil
- Sugar and Salt for seasoning
For the deep-fried fish :
1. Marinate the fish with turmeric powder and salt for 10 mins.
2. Deep-fry the fish until golden brown.
3. Put aside while you prepare the sambal.
For the blended ingredients :
1. Blend the ingredients with a bit of water to form a thick paste.
Sautéing the sambal :
1. Heat oil in a wok. Pour in blended ingredients. Sauté till fragrant and deep red in colour.
2. Next, add in tamarind juice. Adjust the flavour with salt and sugar.
3. Mix in onion rings. Cook until sambal thickens
4. Lastly gently pour the sambal over the fish.
Sambal livens up the humble fried fish. Serve it for lunch and your family will want more.