This is our version of Penang’s famous roti bengali. It’s slightly more dense than the commercially-made ones but still perfect eaten with butter and kaya or dipped in half boiled egg as an early morning breakfast treat.
” Pair it with a nice cup of coffee ”
- 350g bread flour
- 1 Tbs shortening
- Pinch of salt
- 150 ml warm water
- 1 ½ tsp yeast
- 3 Tbs sugar
1. Mix the yeast, warm water, and sugar and let rest for 5 mins.
2. In a bowl mix bread flour, shortening and salt at a low speed.
3. Pour in the yeast mixture to form a dough.
4. Cover with a damp cloth and let rest 1hr in a warm place.
5. Once doubled in size punch down and knead gently.
6. Place in a bread pan and let rest an additional 30mins.
7. Pop in the oven and bake at 170C for 40 – 45mins.
Cut a slice, toast and eat with kaya and butter for a delicious Malaysian breakfast.