It’s not always you see black coloured pasta, right? Well we made our own squid-ink pasta and cooked a great aglio olio with garlic and chillies. Simple and very satisfying. Don’t worry if you’re not bothered to make your own squid-ink pasta: this recipe works great with any pasta you buy too.
” Pasta with a taste of the sea! ”
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 90ml water + squid ink (taken from the squid ink sac)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 red chilli, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 squid, cut into rings
- 5 prawns, shelled and veined
- 2 tbsp. chopped Italian parsley
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1. To make the pasta, combine the ingredients and knead for 8 minutes and rest for 15 minutes. Roll into thin sheets (using a pasta machine or good ol’ rolling pin) and cut into appropriate pasta shapes.
2. Blanch pasta for 1 – 2 minutes in salted boiling water and set aside. Drizzle with a little olive oil.
3. Heat olive oil in a saute pan. Fry the garlic and chillies on medium heat for 5 minutes.
4. Put in the squid and prawns and cook for a few minutes until just cooked.
5. Chuck pasta inside the pan and stir to mix well. Add in the chopped parsley. Season to taste.
Squid ink lends a briny, pure seafood taste to the pasta. But as we said, if you’re not down with that, just buy your favourite pasta and cook as per usual.