Canned sardines are a staple in Malaysian pantries because of their versatility. In this recipe we use them to fill up rolled up fried bread. These rolls are so easy to make and perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack. Plus, kids also love ‘em!
” roll and fry… ”
- 1 small can of sardines, discard all but a few tablespoons of the sauce
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 chilli padi, chopped
- 2 limes
- 1 loaf soft white bread
- 2 eggs, beaten well
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Mash the sardines with the chopped onions and chilli padi. Cook it down for about five minutes to dry it out a little.
2. Heat the oil for deep frying. Season the beaten egg mixture with salt and pepper.
3. Lay a little filling towards one side of the bread, and roll it tight.
4. Dip in the egg mixture and fry until golden brown and crispy.
This a simple recipe, perfect for picnics and your kids’ lunchboxes.