Masak Lemak is a signature dish from the Southern state of Negeri Sembilan. Young jackfruit is best cooked this way because coconut milk balances its earthy flavours wonderfully. This is a fiery dish so lessen the chillies if you can’t handle the heat.
” A classic Negori dish…”
- 500g young jackfruit ( nangka ), chopped and boiled
- 2 chicken thighs, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 3 stalks of lemongrass, bruised
- A handful of bird’s eye chillies ( cili padi ), pounded
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- Coconut Milk, extracted from 1 coconut
- 1 Cup Water
- A pinch of Salt
1. Boil the young jackfruit ( nangka ) for 30 minutes or until it starts to soften.
2. Drain the water.
3. Pound chillies and turmeric powder together. Add lemon grass and continue pounding until the mixture forms a paste.
4. In a wok, combine chicken with pounded ingredients.
5. Cook for 10 minutes.
6. Add in coconut milk.
7. Add in water. Leave it to boil.
8. Add in cooked jackfruit and simmer for 10 minutes.
9. Season well. Cook for a further 10 minutes and it’s done.
Pair this with sambal ikan bilis and you’ll have a great combo for lunch.