We love anything with kicap! It is a childhood staple where our moms would use rice to mop up every last bit of the shiny dark sauce. This recipe is no exception. It is quick to prepare and cook, you’ll have a heartwarming meal in less than half an hour!
” Super quick to prepare ”
- 2 ikan kembung
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Oil for frying
- 1 small yellow onion (sliced)
- 1 red chilli (sliced)
- 3 tbsp. sweet soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- Dash of white pepper
1. Clean and score both sides of each fish down to the bone. Pat dry and season with salt. Fry the fish in hot oil and set it aside.
2. Pour out most of the frying oil, leaving only 3 tbsp. of oil in the pan. On a medium heat, sauté the sliced onion until it is slightly translucent, then add in the sliced chillies.
3. Add in the sweet soy sauce and soy sauce and mix well. Add a bit of water if the sauce becomes too dry.
4. Spoon the sauce over the fried fish and serve it hot.
If you fancy a bit of heat, just substitute the red chilli for 2 or 3 bird’s eye chillies Always pay dry any food before deep frying to avoid splatters.