I can’t imagine a world without chicken rice. Such a simple and tasty dish to enjoy but it takes patience and time to make a good batch. Use good quality chicken, preferably the ones with yellow fat, for best flavour. And don’t skip the dipping sauces. They are essential for Hainanese Chicken Rice.
” A dish worth the time and effort ”
2 chicken breast or thighs, cut into strips
½ tsp. turmeric powder
½ tsp. salt
1 large red onion
2 cloves garlic
3 tbsp. chilli paste
2 tsp. sugar
2 lemongrass, crushed
4 pieces kaffir lime leaves
3 tbsp. tomato sauce
Pinch of salt & sugar
1. Marinade the chicken strips with turmeric powder and salt for 10 minutes.
2. Blend the red onion, garlic, chilli paste and sugar into a smooth paste.
3. Fry the chicken strips until just cooked. Set it aside
4. Using ¼ cup of the frying oil, sauté the blended paste until it shrinks.
5. Add in the crushed lemon grass, tear in the kaffir life leaves and tomato ketchup.
6. Loosen with a bit of water and let it simmer for a couple of minutes.
7. Stir in the cooked chicken strips and simmer again for another couple of minutes.
8. Season with salt and sugar. Serve piping hot.
Adding in the sugar to the blended ingredients allows the sugars to caramelize during the initial cooking process which gives the sauce a wonderful depth of flavour and colour.