These noodles are so tasty and addictive. The zing from the Tom Yum paste paired with the freshness of the kaffir lime leaves works a treat! Spice it up with some freshly cut chillies and enjoy with a plate of crunchy fish crackers. So yum!
” Spicy & tangy Tom Yum rice noodles great from lunch or dinner.. ”
1/2 packet rice noodles (soaked and drained)
3 tbsp. oil
10 shallots (sliced)
1 clove garlic (sliced)
½ thumb sized ginger (finely chopped)
3 tbsp. Tom Yum paste
1 ½ tbsp. sugar
¾ tsp. salt
½ cup hot water
1 stalk lemon grass (crushed)
1 bar of fish cake (sliced)
1 stalk lemon grass (finely chopped)
1 tsp. ginger flower (finely chopped)
4 kaffir lime leaves (finely chopped)
1. Heat the oil on medium high and sauté the shallots, garlic and ginger until soft and translucent.
2. Meanwhile, mix the Tom Yum paste, sugar, salt and hot water together in a bowl. Taste the mixture, there should be a balance of sweet, spicy and tangy.
3. Pour in the Tom Yom mixture into the wok and add in fish cake or any seafood and crushed lemon grass. Cook it for a minute.
4. Add in the drained rice noodles and incorporate well with the sauce. It will look really soupy at first, but the noodles will soak up all the sauce.
5. Once the liquid dries up, throw in the chopped lemon grass, ginger flower and kaffir lime leaves and give it a good mix, turn off the heat.
6. Best served wither hot or room temperature with some crispy fish crackers.
Use chopsticks to stir the rice noodles. The trick is to lift and shake off the noodles back into the wok. This will ensure the noodles are cooked evenly and unbroken.